Website, mobile & app FAQs
You need to be an AAdvantage® member to get an account number. There are a couple ways to become a member:
- If you have an AAdvantage® credit card, you might have an AAdvantage® number already set up.
- You can make an account online and choose a username and password for login.
If you don’t remember your AAdvantage® number, you can retrieve it at login where it says, ‘Need AAdvantage number?’.
If you don’t remember the password you chose when you created an account, you can request it at login (click 'Need password?').
Check ‘Remember me’ at login so you don’t have to re-enter your AAdvantage® number / username and last name every time you visit the site. Next time you log in they will already be filled out, so you can just enter your password.
If you don’t want the site to autofill that information, log out then uncheck ‘Remember me’ at login.
If you’re logged in, you’ll see your name, AAdvantage® number and available award miles on the homepage, along with 'Log out.'
If you’re not on the homepage, go to the toolbar where it says ‘Hello, [name]’. Click that, and you'll get a menu with the option to log out.
Our security partner analyzes and identifies passwords that may be compromised on the web. Compromised passwords can’t be used to join AAdvantage® or change your password.
To protect your privacy, we use secure servers to access and transmit sensitive information like credit card numbers and personal data. We use internet encryption software, Secure Socket Layer (SSL/TLS) protocol, which is still the gold standard for encrypting data in transit on the internet. We do not use OpenSSL, which has a known bug called HeartBleed.
Just type aa.com in the browser of your web-enabled mobile device.
You can do almost everything you normally do on our site including booking a flight, checking in, getting a boarding pass, requesting upgrades and more.
Mobile boarding pass
You must be departing from and connecting through TSA approved cities.
As long as you've already viewed your mobile boarding pass on your phone, it will be cached in the app for 48 hours. Just click the “boarding pass” button within the app.
On the most recent versions:
- iPhone – Scroll down on the home screen and choose “log out.”
- Android – Click the menu button at the top left and choose “log out.”
Log out and when you log in again, make sure the option to “Keep me logged in” is off.
If you're logged in and have a flight departing within 72 hours, your home screen will show your flight information. All additional flights will display on the home screen and under “Later trips.”
If you enable GPS, the app will detect the nearest airports when you search flight status and flight schedules.
You’ll be sent to aa.com to check in if you're traveling with an infant under 2 or you don't have a seat assignment.
You can check in on the app if:
- You're logged in or know the name and 6-character record locator of the passenger
- Your first flight is operated by American Airlines
- It's 1–24 hours before your flight (travel in the U.S., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands) or 2–24 hours before your international flight
- You have a seat assignment
You might not be able to check in using the app, if:
- Your first flight is not operated by American Airlines
- You're traveling with a pet, weapon or firearm
- You're an unaccompanied minor
- It is not 1–24 hours before your flight within the U.S., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or 2– 24 hours before your international flight
Log in to the app and your upcoming trips will display on the home screen. If you “Continue as guest,” choose “Find Reservation/Check In” on the home screen and enter your name and record locator.
Yes. Once you view your reservation details click “Change seats.”
If you’re already on the standby list, choose the orange bar next to your flight information. (See an agent at the airport to be added to the list.)
Go to my trips, then choose “Manage your flight” under “Flight details.” You'll be directed to aa.com to complete the process.
Choose “Flight status,” then search for a flight and choose the notifications you’d like to receive.